Prep shoppers for National Nutrition Month and even St. Patrick’s Day with three green goodness recipes.
Cucumber Avocado Salad
This crisp and crunchy green salad offers the perfect side dish or light meal for any time noshing. Enjoy leafy goodness, crisp cucumbers, and creamy avocados delicately drizzled with savory balsamic dressing.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place all dressing ingredients into a small bowl.
- Whisk until emulsified.
- Set aside.
- 2 cups arugula lettuce
- 2 cups red romaine lettuce
- 1 cucumber, peeled, sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- Place salad ingredients into a medium bowl.
- Drizzle with half the dressing and toss lightly.
- Place on serving plate or bowl and drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Serve immediately.*
Green Avocado Pizza
Topped with tasty mushrooms, avocados, and stringy mozzarella, this healthy pizza is complete with a broccoli crust and delicate Italian seasoning. It’s the perfect amount of goodness and great taste in one amazing pie.
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 6-7 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium-side head broccoli, grated (size of rice)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the grated broccoli to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover and microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool for several minutes, then transfer to a large, clean kitchen towel. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Add the broccoli to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, parmesan, nutritional yeast, a third of the mozzarella, plus the Italian seasoning and salt.
- Stir until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking sheet and shape it into a half-inch-thick crust. It will feel very wet and sticky.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until the crust is set on top and begins to lightly brown on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and add the toppings: mushroom slices, avocado slices, and remaining mozzarella cheese. Return to the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and melted.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for five minutes before serving, sprinkled with cilantro.
Vegan Un-Sushi Spring Rolls
Makes 2 rolls / serves 2
Go vegan with these avo-topped un-sushi rolls that flaunt a bit of sweet chili sauce zing. A dash of vegan cream cheese and more avo-yumminess deliver a punch of decadent richness inside.
- 2 nori sheets
- 4 cups cooked medium-grain white rice
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp white wine
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese
- Thai sweet chile sauce
- toasted sesame seeds (for garnish)
- soy sauce (for dipping)
- Cook rice and let cool thoroughly.
- Transfer to a non-metallic bowl.
- Mix vinegar, sugar, and salt until dissolved.
- Pour into the rice and gently mix.
- Cover a sushi mat with a sheet of plastic wrap.
- Layer on slices of avocado in horizontal rows.
- Add a nori sheet on top of the avocado layers with the rough side facing up.
- Cover the nori sheet with a half-inch thick layer of rice, leaving the top inch of the nori sheet bare.
- Along the bottom edge, place a quarter-inch thick line of cream cheese.
- Spoon on a line of chili sauce next to the cream cheese.
- Add a horizontal line of avocado slices.
- Starting at the bottom, carefully roll the contents upward.
- Remove the plastic-covered mat and slice the roll with a sharp, wet knife.
- Top with sesame seeds and serve immediately* with soy sauce or more sweet chili sauce for dipping.
*If you choose not to serve cold dishes immediately, you may wish to brush lemon or lime juice on the avocado slices to keep them from turning brown.