Lean, green and ghoulishly gratifying, these three recipes are a healthy-twist on creative Halloween appetizers to make in time for your gathering on the spookiest night of the year.
- 1 bag of black tortilla chips
- 4 avocados, peeled, seeded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- ¼ cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 pitted black olives
- Place the avocado flesh into a bowl and mash it with a fork.
- Add garlic and lime juice and mix.
- Mix in onion and tomato.
- Spoon the mixture into a low bowl, smoothing the surface as much as possible.
- Add the sour cream or yogurt to a cake piping bag, or a small baggie. Cut a small hole in the corner of the baggie, then carefully squeeze out a web pattern on the guacamole surface.
- Place the spider in the web: use one whole olive for the spider body, and one cut into strips for the legs.
- Serve immediately.
Deviled Avo Eyeballs
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1-2 Tbsp. mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sriracha aioli (in a squeeze bottle)
- olive slices
- 12 pimentos, pomegranate seeds, or tiny tomato chunks
- Peel the eggs, cut them in half length-wise, and remove the yolks.
- In a medium bowl, add the avocado flesh, egg yolks, mustard, mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt, and vinegar and mix until you reach the desired consistency—salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the avocado mixture into the pit of the egg halves.
- Use sriracha aioli to create veins in the eyes.
- Top each half with an olive slice and a pimento, pomegranate seed, or tiny tomato chunk.
- Refrigerate for up to 6 hours until ready to serve.
Avo Toast Ghosts
- 3 slices of toast
- 1 jumbo avocado, peeled
- 3 olive slices
- 6 pimento, pomegranate seeds, or tiny tomato chunks
- Place the avocado flesh into a small bowl and mash it with a fork.
- Either use a cookie cutter or create a simple ghost template and cut shapes out of the toast slices.
- Spread the avocado mash onto the toast.
- Add an olive slice for the mouth and two pimento, pomegranate seeds, or tiny tomato chunks for the eyes.
- Let your little monsters devour immediately.